Saturday, January 17, 2009

It's a boy! Again!

No, it's not twins, and I'm not pregnant. But once again one my young henlings has crowed. Can you pick out which one is not like the others?

Yep, about a week ago I heard an additional crow in the yard, and when I looked closer, I realized one of my "girls" was sporting pretty tail feathers! The latest batch of chicks is now 5 months old and are coming into their sexual maturity, and once again I have one more rooster than I bargained for.

So far Kazoo and the "new" rooster seem to be getting along well, without any fighting in the coop at night. Unfotunately, if it becomes a problem, one of them will have to go into the stew pot, as it's pretty hard to find homes for unwanted roosters. By the way, chicks are sexed at birth, but I've had a one in six rate of boys twice now, which is well below the stated oops rate.

2 comments:

Nancy Gift said...

What a beautiful guy! But at least he'll be one well-loved stew chicken. That's got to be worth something!

Earin Marybird said...

They are such pretty boys. I do hope they get along but the heartbreak of testosterone is unyielding.